Lilypie

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New Day, A New Beginning?

I woke up this morning, took mom's dog to the vet for her, came home fed the baby, and then fixed the hubby breakfast and had dinner in the crock pot all before 9:30. Then I sat down to a little girl sitting in her bouncer just a cooing away, and realized what today was.

For many Americans today is a great day in history. It's the changing of the guard. Out with the old in with the new. For me, I see it as something different. It's a day that has changed my 2 month old daughters future. It represents to me, that the hatred in America is slowly disappearing among the generations. I was raised to believe that races do not mix. (And yet I married a Mexican man). It wasn't until I was older that I realized how crazy this was. Like the President said today in his speech, 60 years ago a man stood at the end of the mall, and he could not have drank from the same fountain, or rode on the same bus, or ate at the same restaurant as many people did. Today is a day in our history that will go down in infamy. It is a day of firsts and new beginnings.

I pray that in 5 years or 10, or 20, that this will be an everyday event. That people of all races, religions and creeds, will be able to come together for one common cause. Many people before me have hoped for the same thing, and many people after me will too, but today was a step in the right direction. You do not have to believe in all of the causes, or everything they do. But you must believe that the people are strong that back this country. I may not have voted for him, but he is now my President. I only pray that he can lead this great country and show that we are still "one nation under GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Today just goes to show, that anyone can accomplish anything. And this is what I want for my daughter. To know that no matter what obstacles are in front of her, that she can achieve great things. That she will know that she comes from a background of strong Germans, Englishman, and Scotsman, but also from a strong group of Mexicans, and Native Americans. She will not be known as Caucasian, or Mexican. She will only be known as a child of God, with an open mind and willing heart to serve. She will not be known by a piece of paper, but she will be known for the knowledge that she posesses. She will be strong-willed and determined in her endavours. She will be able to stick to her convictions, and have proof to back up her beliefs. She will be what ever she wants to be, and I as mom, will be standing right by her side knowing that I helped shape this amazing young woman that stands before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment